1 Mar 2008

The Great Migration (of the Wannabe Wildebeest)

Being the concerned big sister that I am, I woke up at 4.00am to make sure that my sister was ready to go. Suddenly, it hit me that that was way too early, even for the most competitive soul. So I went back to sleep.. but I couldn't. All I could think of was, 'What if I oversleep? What if I wake up at 9.00sm and it's too late for baby sis to audition? So I lay in bed and willed away the time. At 5,00 am, I woke her up. Half an hour later, we were out the door and on to the chilly sleepy street. I was planning on taking a matatu, but I thought that would delay us. So I paid a cab to KICC, where the auditions are being held. To my shock, really, we were the only ones!! I didn't get it. There is only one audition, in the whole country and no one is there just tow hours earlier?

We met some of the organizers who told us that we were way too early. Yeah. So we went for a walk, watching Nairobi wake up...and get samosas. On coming back, like 10 minutes later, there were 10 people or so at the gate. So the waiting game started. SEt tto start at 8 am, the organisers did not talk to us until some minutes to 9 am. Then they moved us from one gate to the next, and back to the previous gate. 30 minutes later, they asked the aspirants to get into groups of 4 or 5 people each. What did they thiknk would happen then? People would walk calmly and peacefully join hands? So a push ensued, causing them to abandon the plan. They opened the gates and let people in, in whatever groups they were in.

My laptop is low on power... have to continue this later

4 commented:

nisoba said...

Hi Mercy....i can't wait to read part 2 of the story

nisoba said...

Hi Mercy, I can't wait to read part 2 of the story. Do you still live close to the brewery? It's nice to remember all the streets and buildings of Nairobi while sitting in cold, rainy and stormy Germany

Even Angels Fall said...

Nisoba,

Coming soon...

nisoba said...

Hi Mercy, I can't wait to read part 2 of the story. Do you still live close to the brewery? It's nice to remember all the streets and buildings of Nairobi while sitting in cold, rainy and stormy Germany

Archive